Inhalation Sedation (nitrous oxide)
The delivery of a mixture of nitrous oxide+oxygen through a small nasal mask brings the child to a euphoric condition and prevents pain. This results in an increased acceptance of the necessary treatment, for example, the administration of local anaesthesia.
Laughing gas is a simple and secure calming method which should not be confused with general anaesthetic procedures, in which the child is unconscious.
Condition of the child:
- Euphoria and relaxation
- Feeling of time-loss (20 min feels like 10 min)
- Increased readiness to positive thinking
- Lack of interest in the external happenings
Advantage of nitrous-oxide-inhalation sedation:
- Stress free dental visit
- Pain free dental visit
- Possibility of a positive influence through suggestive choice of words
- Patient is fully conscious through out the treatment
- Recovery to a normal condition is almost instantaneous as soon as nitrous-oxide is turned off
- Possibility of a combination with other sedatives